Pushing An Agenda? US Readies For War After ‘Iran Shoots Down US Military Drone’- However Photo Press Uses Is From Years Ago

IRAN says it’s “ready for war” after shooting down a US “spy” drone today as tensions continue to rise in the Persian Gulf.

The Islamic Republic’s state-run IRNA news agency has insisted the country’s Revolutionary Guard hit the drone when it flew over Iran in a “clear message” to Washington.

But in a shocking twist it was claimed the image Iran used to make the claim is fake – and actually shows a drone being shot down over Yemen two years ago.

 Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency released this picture - which has now been branded a fake that actually shows a drone being shot down over Yemen two years ago

 
Iran’s state-run IRNA news agency released this picture – which has now been branded a fake that actually shows a drone being shot down over Yemen two years ago

 The military drone was gunned down this morning by Iran

 
The military drone was gunned down this morning by Iran

The US military challenged Iran’s claims saying the drone was gunned down in international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz by an Iranian surface-to-air missile.

Earlier, Navy Captain Bill Urban, of America’s Central Command, said: “No US aircraft were operating in Iranian airspace today.”

Hossein Salami, the commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, said that Tehran does “not have any intention for war with any country, but we are ready for war” while insisting “our airspace is a red line”.

Speaking on Iranian state television, he said this morning’s incident sends a “clear message” to the US while issuing a threat to the country’s “enemies”.

General Salami said: “We warn enemies of any aggression at this stage and assure them that we can reach them wherever they are.”

IRNA, citing the paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, identified the drone as an RQ-4 Global Hawk – an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) which can fly at high altitudes for more than 30 hours.

FAKE PHOTO?

When revealing Iran had shot down the drone, the country’s state-run IRNA news agency released a picture of an aircraft appearing to spiral towards Earth.

It claimed the image showed a RQ-4 Global Hawk, a US military drone, being blasted out the sky over Iranian territory.

However the same photograph – albeit in a wider crop – had previously appeared in a two-year-old report of a spy drone being shot down over Yemen in 2017.

That report quoted Yemeni military sources as saying it showed an American MQ 9 drone falling to Earth near the country’s capital Sanaa – and included pictures of the crashed drone burning on the ground.

It wasn’t immediately clear whether Iran mistakenly shared the old image or whether it was a deliberate attempt at spreading misinformation.

 The same photograph - albeit in a wider crop - had previously appeared in a two-year-old report of a spy drone being shot down over Yemen in 2017

12
The same photograph – albeit in a wider crop – had previously appeared in a two-year-old report of a spy drone being shot down over Yemen in 2017

SPY DRONE ‘SHOT DOWN’

RQ-4 Global Hawk drones can gather near-real-time, high-resolution imagery of large areas of land in all types of weather, its makers Northrop Grumman says.

IRNA had earlier claimed the drone entered Iranian airspace near the Kouhmobarak district in southern Iran’s Hormozgan province.

The reported shoot-down comes amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington.

In recent days, the US confirmed an attempt by Iran to shoot down an American drone last week as well as a successful destruction of one on June 6 by Iran-aligned Houthi forces in Yemen

Earlier this week, the US announced plans to deploy more than 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East following bomb attacks on two oil tankers.

Photos released by the Pentagon appear to prove Iran’s Revolutionary Guard were behind the bomb attacks on the tankers in the Gulf of Oman.

Acting Defence Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced the deployment for what he said were “defensive purposes” citing concerns about a threat from Iran.

TENSIONS RISE

He said the “recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behaviour by Iranian forces and their proxy groups” towards America.

The new images, many taken from a Navy helicopter, show what the Pentagon said were Iranian forces removing an unexploded mine from the side of the Kokuka Courageous tanker.

Other photos show a large hole on the side of the Japanese-owned ship, above the water line, that officials say appears to have been caused by another similar mine.

The vessel is believed to have been targeted by a magnetic mine causing a series of massive explosions.

Recent US and Iran tensions

  • May 5: USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group and a bomber task force is deployed in Middle East in response to ‘a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings’ by Iran.
  • May 8: Iran vows to enrich its uranium stockpile if world powers fail to negotiate new terms for its nuclear deal. The US responds by imposing sanctions on Iran’s metals industry.
  • May 10: The US says it will move a Patriot missile battery into the Middle East to counter threats from Iran.
  • May 24: President Trump says the US will bolster its military presence in the Middle East with an additional 1,500 troops.
  • May 12: The UAE says four commercial ships off its eastern coast “were subjected to sabotage operations,” just hours after Iranian and Lebanese media outlets air false reports of explosions at a nearby Emirati port.
  • June 13: Two oil tankers are attacked in the Gulf of Oman – Washington blames Iran while Tehran denies involvement
  • June 18: US sends more than 1,000 additional troops to Middle East citing Iran’s ‘hostile behaviour’
  • June 20: Iran shoots down American ‘spy’ drone insisting the aircraft had flown over its airspace – a claim the US denied

 The RQ-4 Global Hawk, a US military drone, can fly at high altitudes for more than 30 hours

12
The RQ-4 Global Hawk, a US military drone, can fly at high altitudes for more than 30 hoursCredit: Getty – Contributor

 The pictures also show damage to the vessel

 
The pictures also show damage to the vesselCredit: Reuters

 The new images were taken from a US Navy helicopter

12
The new images were taken from a US Navy helicopterCredit: AP:Associated Press

 According to the Pentagon, the Iranians are removing an unexploded mine

 
According to the Pentagon, the Iranians are removing an unexploded mineCredit: AP:Associated Press

 A satellite picture taken directly above shows the Iranian vessel beside the tanker

 
A satellite picture taken directly above shows the Iranian vessel beside the tankerCredit: AP:Associated Press

 Secretary of State Mike Pompeo standing in front of pictures of the tankers attacked in the Gulf

 
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo standing in front of pictures of the tankers attacked in the GulfCredit: AP:Associated Press

 A huge fire rages on board the Front Altair after it was attacked in the Gulf of Oman

 
A huge fire rages on board the Front Altair after it was attacked in the Gulf of Oman

 An aerial picture showing the huge blaze raging on the oil tanker after the attack

 
An aerial picture showing the huge blaze raging on the oil tanker after the attackCredit: AP:Associated Press

Both it and the Front Altair burst into flames and were forced to evacuate the troubled region.

Iran has denied any involvement in the explosions.

It comes as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States is “considering a full range of options” after the attacks.

“We have briefed the President a couple of times, we’ll continue to keep him updated,” he said.

“We are confident that we can take a set of actions that can restore deterrence which is our mission set,” Pompeo said in an interview on CBS’s Face The Nation.

When questioned if a military response was one of the options, Pompeo responded: “Of course.”

Original Article:https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9334596/iran-shoots-down-us-spy-drone-tensions-gulf/

Read More:War Drums: Mike Pompeo Openly Accuses Iran For ‘Blatant Assult’ On Oil Tankers In Middle East

Read More:Prophecy Unfolds; Iran Vows To Defeat ‘American-Zionist Alliance’

Read More:Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo Calls For A ‘New Liberal Order’ To Unite Against Iran, Russia And China

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.