We should have known it was a set up from the start. The media insisted that James Comey, director of the FBI, was “uncorruptable, independent, and a real straight arrow.” It turns out that was a lie as well, but we will never know how he, too, was able to be corrupted by the Clinton machine. But it happened, without question.
Comey held a press conference today, announcing that after months of investigations, the FBI would not recommend prosecuting Hillary Clinton for her many misdeeds and lies. We are not talking about minor shadings of the truth, we are talking about serious, felonious lies that had real consequences, and had a normal citizen committed even one tenth of, would have landed them in jail for decades.
It is decision that makes the U.S. a run-of-the-mill banana republic, where the wealthy and powerful are able to play by different rules. Why should any of us obey the laws and respect the standards of the country when this type of decision is possible? The fawning media is commenting how “sternly” Comey described Clinton’s misdeeds, and it is laughable. Do you speak “sternly” to a rapist, a murderer, a bank robber?
The law says there must be consequences to illegal actions, not just “stern words.” Clinton’s actions put this nation at risk and corrupted government at the highest levels, and the bigger question is why? Her IT support guy was granted immunity for his testimony and then went on to take the 5th amendment against self incrimination 125 times in a couple hours of questioning! Are we to assume that he was doing things that were prosecutable on his own, without direction from Clinton?
Over and over again Comey showed that Clinton had committed acts that were clearly illegal and then lied about it. Somehow the public disclosure of her lies is supposed to be sufficient punishment for what she did.
1. FALSE: Hillary Clinton never sent any classified information, or emails containing information marked “classified.” Comey noted: “even if information is not marked ‘classified’ in an e-mail, participants who know or should know that the subject matter is classified are still obligated to protect it.”
From the group of 30,000 e-mails returned to the State Department, 110 e-mails in 52 e-mail chains have been determined by the owning agency to contain classified information at the time they were sent or received. Eight of those chains contained information that was Top Secret at the time they were sent; 36 chains contained Secret information at the time; and eight contained Confidential information, which is the lowest level of classification.
2. FALSE: Hillary Clinton turned over all work-related emails to the State Department. Comey: “The FBI also discovered several thousand work-related e-mails that were not in the group of 30,000 that were returned by Secretary Clinton to State in 2014.”
3. FALSE: Hillary Clinton was allowed to use a private e-mail server. Comey noted that “any reasonable person in Secretary Clinton’s position, or in the position of those government employees with whom she was corresponding about these matters, should have known that an unclassified system was no place for” some of the information she was sharing.
4. FALSE: Hillary Clinton’s server was not hacked by foreign adversaries. Clinton claimed it was impossible that her server was hacked. But Comey said: “She also used her personal e-mail extensively while outside the United States, including sending and receiving work-related e-mails in the territory of sophisticated adversaries. Given that combination of factors, we assess it is possible that hostile actors gained access to Secretary Clinton’s personal e-mail account.”
5. FALSE: Hillary Clinton had only used a single mobile device for email. Comey noted the use of multiple e-mail devices, and multiple servers: “Secretary Clinton used several different servers and administrators of those servers during her four years at the State Department, and used numerous mobile devices to view and send e-mail on that personal domain.”
6. FALSE: Hillary Clinton’s lawyers had read every single one of her emails before deleting the “personal” ones. As Time notes:
Clinton press secretary Nick Merrill previously told TIME that her attorneys had individually read every email to determine if it was a government document or personal correspondence. “Every one of the more than 60,000 emails were read. Period,” Merrill wrote in one email to a TIME reporter dated March 14, 2015.
The FBI concluded that this claim was false.
If anything demonstrates intent, it is surely Clinton’s repeated evasion of the law, and her constant lies and cover-ups. She has insisted that around 30,000 emails were private correspondence, but the act of hiding or destroying almost half of all the emails clearly is an obstruction of justice, but dismissed by Comey.
Clinton kept changing her story as bits and pieces of truth were exposed, and the media slavishly repeated her lies, so no harm, no foul. The bigger issue is buried in the background. Why did Clinton have to use a private server to conduct official business? The answer is obvious to anyone who has more than a very passing acquaintance with world events. She was playing footsie with foreign governments and individuals and making promises in exchange for cash or other favors, all deliverable when she becomes president. And the vehicle for accomplishing the transfer of hundreds of millions of dollars to enrich the Clintons personally? The Clinton Foundation, which also seems to have a problem producing accurate tax and operational records.
So how does a mother or father teach their children to be honest and to show integrity after this? The answer is they should not, because as we have just seen, it pays to be dishonest, to lie, to sell your country down the river. Honesty and integrity is for chumps who don’t know how to work the system. That is the ultimate message from the decision to not indict Clinton.
And Mr. Comey?
He should resign in disgrace and go off to a small cabin in the mountains to contemplate the tremendous damage he just inflicted on the nation and the miserable worthlessness of his pointless little life.