Australia To Test Debris Two Years After Flight MH370 Disappeared

A photograph of debris thought to be from the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 plane is seen in this still image taken from video shot March 3, 2016.   REUTERS/Blaine Gibson/Australian Transport Safety Bureau/via Reuters TV

A piece of debris found off the southeast African coast that could be from a missing Malaysia Airlines flight is being sent to Australia for testing, officials said on Thursday, two years after the plane carrying 239 people disappeared.

A white, meter-long chunk of metal was found off the coast of Mozambique earlier this week by a U.S. adventurer who has been carrying out an independent search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

The debris will be tested by officials in Australia, with help from Malaysian authorities and representatives of manufacturer Boeing Co (BA.N).

“It is too early to speculate on the origin of the debris at this stage,” Australian Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester told parliament.

However, the piece was found in “a location consistent with drift modeling commissioned by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau”, he said.

Malaysia's transport minister Liow Tiong Lai(C) speaks at a news conference about debris found on a beach in Mozambique that may be from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 3, 2016.  REUTERS/Olivia Harris

Malaysia’s transport minister Liow Tiong Lai(C) speaks at a news conference about debris found on a beach in Mozambique that may be from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 3, 2016. REUTERS/Olivia Harris

Chester’s comments added to a fresh sense of optimism after Malaysia’s transport minister, Liow Tiong Lai, said on Wednesday there was a “high possibility” the metal chunk belonged to a 777 jet, the same type of aircraft as MH370.

Flight MH370 disappeared on March 8, 2014, with 239 passengers and crew on board shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur bound for Beijing.

It is believed to have crashed in the Indian Ocean and an initial search of a 60,000 sq km (23,000 sq miles) area of sea floor has been extended to another 60,000 sq km.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said he had “noted” the report about the new possible piece of debris.

“We will closely track the development of the situation, and maintain close contact with relevant sides. We will also work with relevant countries to make great efforts to continue the search work for MH370,” he told reporters in Beijing.

A piece of the plane’s wing washed up on the French Indian Ocean island of Reunion, on the other side of Madagascar, in July 2015.

Voice370, a group representing families of those on board the missing plane, said the discovery meant the search must focus on the coastlines of Mozambique and Madagascar.

“Debris fields, though subject to some degree of dispersal by the elements, generally tend to make landfall in close proximity,” the group said in a statement.
Original Article: http://www.trunews.com/71657-2/#KL6G20HKaY2MZgAx.99

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.